Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mary (Berg/Christopherson) Schafer

It truly doesn't seem possible that 50 years have passed!  We can't be that old, can we?

A week after graduating from the U of MN in June of 1965, I married Carl (Skip) Christopherson.  We both received a B.S. in math education, and he wanted to move to South Dakota for the pheasant hunting.  We taught in SD (mainly in Ipswich) for 16 years.  I did stay home for six years, after our daughter, Laurel (Laurie) was born in 1969, and son, David, was born in 1970.

In 1981 we moved to Crosby, ND, where we lived for 3 years.  Then we moved to New Rockford, ND.  Skip taught in Sheyenne, ND and I taught in New Rockford.  Several years earlier, Skip had earned his Masters and moved into teaching sciences.  In addition to teaching math, I was also teaching Spanish classes. I made 1 trip to Spain, and 2 trips to Mexico with students.  In 1988 we moved to Stanley, ND and lived there until he passed away at the early age of 52.  (1994)  By this time our daughter was an RN, married, and had a 6 month old boy.  David was finishing college and about to be married.

After Skip's death I moved to Bismarck.  I did some teaching in 2 private schools, then in 1998 married Wallace (Wally) Schafer.  I finished my teaching career with 6 years on interactive television, teaching to as many as 10-12 schools a day in small towns, from a school north of Bismarck.  Wally retired from being a mechanic at a coal mine north of Bismarck a year before my retirement.

My daughter is now a nursing instructor at Minot State University.  She and her husband have 2 sons and a daughter.  My son is a mail carrier in Williston, ND (with a degree in Business!).  He and his wife have 3 boys.  Wally has 3 daughters, all of whom are married.  The oldest has 3 sons and they live here in Bismarck.  The other 2 live in the Houston area, one having a son and a daughter.  (That's 11 grandkids altogether, 9 boys!)  They range in age from 20 down to 3-1/2. 

We love being with our families, and love to travel.  In late 2009 we went to Puerto Vallarta for a niece's destination wedding, and in February and March of this year we spent 5 weeks in Phoenix, escaping the ND winter.  We also go to Houston when we get a chance.  We're not sure yet if we'll get to the Cities for the reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment