Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shirley (Benitez) Sheffield Update

After graduation I worked for Prudential Life Insurance left there in 1965 to get married in Kassel West Germany to  Sgt Gary Brown (Columbia Heights grad) who was stationed in the Army, we  spent 4 years there Eric was born in 1966. He has 2 sons Tyler age 21 and Cody age 19 they live in Lincoln NE.

I came back to states and was divorced in 1970. Met my current husband, Ramon and we have been married for 37 years. We have a son Jeremy who is married to Nichole; they have 2 sons Carlo 14 and Michael 19.  Ramon has two sons from a previous marriage that are grown and living in Florida.

I started working for State of Minnesota as a Correctional Officer for 4 years, transferred to Hennepin County and continued as a Correctional Officer until 1996, then became Advocate/Ombudsman.  I continued to work for a total of 30 years with Hennepin County and retired 3 years ago.

I have volunteered in the community as a advocate for Battered Women, Case manager for Hennepin County Probation, working with crime victims at Eastside Neighborhood Service.

I served as a Restorative Justice Panel member and Circle Keeper for Powderhorn restorative justice (now Midtown) and BIHIA.

I'm the recipient of the McKnight Foundation Award in Human Service, Dr. Kozak award for service to crime victims.  U.S. Justice Award for working with crime victims in the state of Mn,
Inclusion in 2000 Notable American Women publication, and Who’s Who of American Women 1989-1990.



I like beading, paint, and creating art in many kinds of mediums. I have won many ribbons in the field of Ceramic and pottery. We love to travel and see America; spend time with our grand kids.


Because I care
Shirley Benitez

No comments:

Post a Comment