Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Nancy Swiderski Update

Bio Information – Nancy (Swiderski) Keyes

Graduating from Fridley High School and leaving my fun friends and various activities was very sad for me. I have a picture of me crying!! School was fun – (but I did work, honestly!) – which made the time fly by so fast!

Memories of 50 years ago seem like yesterday. The Miss Fridley pageant and all the fun that was – going to “State” contests singing in the trio with Dodie Stone and Les Beaudy - etc. I think the best thing that happened to me was Mrs. Mahurin pulling me out of Chemistry in my senior year and putting me in Typing II. Because of that, she then helped me get my first “real job” upon graduation – the FBI! Those were the days of the communists and secret service - - quite a bit to handle for a 17-year-old!!

I married shortly after graduation, landing a job at Dun & Bradstreet in downtown Minneapolis. When I left there after 9 years, Apache Corporation was my calling, working in the Foshay Tower which they owned. (you will remember Apache Plaza in St. Anthony – I was considered a “visiting dignitary” as Miss Fridley. Wow – big stuff! J Little did I know a few years later I would be working for the owner of the Plaza.

Another name change in the mid 70’s and off to start a crop farming operation in Cannon Falls with my husband. (he was from that area and we bought acreage next to the family farm – ultimately the family farm, as well). When our son Chad was born with a heart defect and open heart surgery at 7 weeks, there were many medical trips to the University of Minnesota. Unfortunately the stress of farming and a handicapped child was too much for the marriage and it ended in 1984. (Today Chad lives in Red Wing – he is the love of my life and doing well.)

Chad Visit Dec 13 2009 015

Left to right: Son Chad, Sister Carol, Nancy

I left Apache Corporation in 1976 for a great opportunity in the offices of Carl Pohlad. What a wonderful experience that was - - imagine chatting with Robert Redford (who was in car racing as was Carl) when he came to Minneapolis. In 1984 I began an 18-year marketing career at the law offices of Gray Plant Mooty Mooty & Bennett in downtown Minneapolis. Just picture: getting to know 150 attorneys and their personalities in order to get the work done! But I loved every minute of it! Simultaneously in 1994, I landed my first Concierge gig at the Hotel Sofitel in Bloomington MN. I worked there part time in addition to my marketing position until 2001 when I left both Gray Plant Mooty and the hotel to begin my concierge business ConciergeCalling LLC. Missing the action in downtown Minneapolis, my present opportunity became available in 2003 which I immediately accepted. I truly have loved working as a corporate concierge for a high-rise office building which holds over 1,500 people. Retirement does not seem to be in my vocabulary presently, so I will continue to be here as long as I am able. If I do retire someday, perhaps I will seek a position in a retirement center as their concierge/social director.

 

Leslie

One of my favorite pictures with Katie.
Participant in Special Olympics

Another name change in 1989 (hmmmm – is there a pattern here??) to Keyes. Tom and I had a wonderful time traveling, enjoying the cultural aspects of life, and our families blended well. We did divorce and Tom passed two years ago this April.

Volunteering is a huge part of my life and has been ever since 2003 when I began the National Concierge Association-MN Chapter Philanthropic Organization. Through volunteering, I have rubbed elbows with the Hollywood stars when they attend the Starkey Hearing Gala annually, along with many other local and nationally-recognized charity galas. Local and national awards for concierge leadership, involvement, etc. have been many over the years of which I am very proud.

NCA Conference Grapevine TX  August 2009 160

NCA – International Award
“Volunteer of the Year”

Taking care of others and giving back to my community seems to have been my “lot in life”. I am presently Vice President of the ULLR “Ski for Light” Foundation, the philanthropic branch of the ULLR “Ski, Bike & Social Club. Over the years we have raised and given to the disabled over $125,000 so that their lives are better than they would have been. Very rewarding. Check us out: www.ullr.org/foundation

Mom and Dad 68th Anniversary 006  Nancy Keyes

Mom and Dad 68 years together!!!

I presently live in Edina and do not know what my next project(s) will be – but whatever they are, I am sure it will be service-oriented.

Miss the “good ol days” but glad for the opportunities in the present!

I wish all you wonderful people the very best – and hope to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment